Well Woman Exam
A Well Woman Exam is your once-a-year visit to Complete Women Care for a general check-up, including a breast exam and pelvic exam. A Well Woman Exam does not include a discussion of new problems or a detailed review of chronic conditions.
What is included in a Well Woman Exam?
- General physical exam including breast exam
- Pelvic exam and Pap Smear
- Update of personal information such as life and work situation
- Review and update of family health history
- Update of current medications, herbs, and supplements
- Evaluation of need for health screening tests (such as mammogram, test for sexually transmitted diseases, and colon cancer screening)
- Update on immunizations
Please schedule a separate appointment if you have concerns that are not addressed during your Well Woman Exam. If you have a list of concerns or questions that you would like to discuss, new health care concerns or ongoing health problems that need more attention, please schedule another appointment. By doing so, we will be able to bill your insurance instead of creating more out-of-pocket costs for you in most cases.
What happens if you have a new health concern at the time of your Well Woman Exam?
We will need to decide whether or not to use the appointed time that day to address your problem. If the doctor has too many previously scheduled visits for that day, your Well Woman Exam may be rescheduled. On the other hand, if you choose to keep your scheduled Well Woman Exam appointment, you may defer the health concerns to another scheduled visit. If you do discuss an additional concern at the time of your well woman exam, you may be charged a copay and any other additional exam fees as per your insurance. For this reason, it is best to speak with a patient coordinator before your visit to make sure you understand what a well women exam is and what is covered.
- Check your insurance policy to make sure you are covered for yearly preventive medicine visits or Well Woman Exams/Women’s Health pap/pelvic/breast exam
- Most insurance plans allow for only one Well Woman Exam per year.
- Medicare covers pap smears every two years, mammograms every year, colon cancer screenings, and routine vaccinations.
- If you are considered high risk, Medicare will cover annual pap smears.
Medicare does not cover routine annual exams.